Nurse Teaching on Sites for Insulin Administration
Nurse educated the patient and caregiver on sites for insulin administration as follows:
- Insulin is administered into the less sensitive layer of fatty tissue, just underneath the skin (subcutaneous fat). Injecting insulin into the fat layer beneath the skin can help absorption of insulin into the blood stream at a desired and consistent rate.
- Insulin can be injected into the subcutaneous fat available at various body sites by using insulin syringe, insulin pen, or even insulin infusion.
- Subcutaneous fat is richly available in various body sites, such as, abdomen, upper & outer arms, hips, and upper & outer thighs. This makes them preferred sites for insulin administration.
- Insulin can be administered subcutaneously, preferably into the anterior abdominal wall, leaving a 2 inch circle around the navel. Insulin injected into this site is quickly and consistently absorbed among all the other sites for insulin administration, which makes it the most preferred site. The 2 inch circle around the navel can have tougher subcutaneous tissue, can compromise insulin absorption, and thus, is avoided.
- Insulin can be administered subcutaneously into the upper & outer arms. Insulin injected into this site is absorbed with moderate speed and slower than the insulin injected into the subcutaneous fat on the abdomen. Avoid administering into this site, if the individual lacks fatty tissue in the upper & outer arm.
- Insulin can also be administered subcutaneously into the hips and upper & outer thighs. Insulin injected into these sites is slowly absorbed in comparison to all the other preferred sites for insulin administration. While administering insulin into this site, make sure you are not administering the medication too close to any bony area in the lower extremity, which can reduce the absorption of insulin and compromise the therapeutic benefit of insulin administration.
To access our database of Patient Teachings and Customizable OASIS Assessment Templates, please Sign Up