Patient was instructed regarding sensory splitting technique for pain management as follows:
- Sensory splitting is a technique of pain management, in which you train the mind to split the unpleasant sensation of pain into various components, such as, type of pain, nature of pain, intensity of pain, and so on.
- This technique involves focusing more on the attributes of the pain rather than the pain itself as one huge entity and worrying about the distress that it brings on.
- The category of type of pain could be divided further into entities such as throbbing pain, stabbing pain, aching pain, burning pain, pins and needles sensation, and so on.
- The nature of pain could be divided further into entities such as localized pain, radiating pain, skeletal pain, soft tissue pain, muscle pain, referred pain, and so on.
- The intensity of pain could be divided further into entities such as acute pain, chronic pain, mild pain, moderate pain, severe pain, exacerbated pain, and so on.
- Mindful dividing of pain into so many small components that could be temporary and subjective to change with time, pain is no longer one solid entity that you be stressed about, which contributes to pain relief.
- Since shifting the attention from pain could be difficult when the pain level is high, start practicing sensory splitting when the pain level is manageable and gradually move on to practicing it with high pain levels, as you gain more control on practicing the technique.