Therapeutic Uses of Amitriptyline
- Amitriptyline increases the serotonin and noradrenaline concentrations and enhances their actions at the junction between nerve cells.
- This helps with contributing to increased alertness, enhanced memory & attention, and promotion of feelings of well-being, contentment, and happiness. This leads to relief from anxiety and control of depression symptoms.
- Bulimia nervosa is an eating and emotional disorder involving distortion of body image and an obsessive desire to lose weight. People with this disorder tend to consume large quantity of food in a short period of time, often followed by feelings of guilt and anxiety.
- Guilt and anxiety brought on by binge eating contribute to repeated purging activity and continues to establish as a vicious cycle of events, leading to the development of the disorder, bulimia nervosa.
- Binge eating and purging, characteristically seen in bulimia nervosa respond to treatment with amitriptyline.
- By regulating the concentrations of neurochemicals in the brain, especially levels of serotonin and noradrenaline, the medication controls the guilt and anxiety, thus preventing the purging activity.
- This contributes to breaking the cycle of binge and purge, thus offering relief from symptoms of bulimia nervosa.
Bed-wetting in children
- Action of the neurochemical acetylcholine on urinary bladder results in contraction of bladder, bladder emptying, and urination.
- Amitriptyline reportedly reduces the release of acetylcholine, thus reducing the action of acetylcholine on the bladder.
- This action of the medication helps with relaxing the bladder, prevent/reduce episodes of bladder contraction, and prevent urination during sleep. This helps to reduce episodes of bed-wetting in children.
- Amitriptyline can be used along with other antipsychotics for management of symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Panic disorders and anxiety
- By improving the concentrations and promoting the actions of serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain, amitriptyline can help with stabilizing the mood and allaying unrealistic fears. This helps provide relief from panic states and phobia.
- So, amitriptyline can be used for mood enhancement, management and relief of agitation during states of panic, phobia, and anxiety.
- By providing relief from anxiety and promoting relaxation, amitriptyline helps with improving the sleep patterns. So, amitriptyline can be used to promote sleep, in individuals with history of insomnia and difficulty falling sleep.
Neuropathy and migraine
- Amitriptyline, by unknown mechanism of action, helps control nerve pain and migraine headaches.
- It is used to control the neuropathic pain associated with shingles, poorly managed diabetes, and fibromyalgia.
- Also, it is used to control the exacerbation of episodes of headache, in individuals with history of migraine.
To access our database of more than 5500 Patient Teachings, Sign Up Today by visiting Sign Up